If Death Occurs At Home
1. Telephone the doctor (if death occurs bewteen 8am and 6pm)who will visit to confirm that death has taken place. If death occurs out of hours contact NHs 24 on 111.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. Arrange to collect the doctor's Medical Certificate of Death (usually from the surgery).
4. Take this to the Registrars Office, (together with the deceased's Medical Card and Birth Certificate, if available) for the area in which the death took place. Alternatively you can register by declaration at any convenient Registrars Office but certificates will not be available as these will have to be posted to you a few days later.
5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).
Registrar's Office:- 9 W High Street Forfar - 01307 464973
If The Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 - 5 as above
Note For Cremation
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required
Parkgrove Crematorium - Douglasmuir, Froickheim - 01241 828959
Dundee Crematorium - McAlpine Road, Dundee- 01382 827259
Local Funeral Directors
Bains:- 28-30 West High Street, Forfar - 01307 463285
Strathmore:- 4 Roberts Street, Forfar - 01307 460777
Strathearn:- 29 Roods, Kirriemuir - 01575 572163
Wm Lyall:- 2 Bellies Brae, Kirriemuir - 01575 574199
For help & support at this sad time visit CRUSE
The Angus Adult Bereaved by Suicide Service is available to any adult living in Angus who has been impacted through by being bereaved by suicide and is provided by Insight Counselling.
The service offers adult one-to-one or adult family support to adults who have been impacted by being bereaved by suicide. It recognises that everyone’s experience is unique and needs vary from person to person and as such offers support, counselling and signposting based on individual need. Anyone can make a referral for Angus residents.
This is a Monday to Friday Service.
Contact: Insight Counselling, Number Ten, 10 Constitution Road, Dundee, DD1 1LL. Telephone: 01382 305706 or email: email@example.com.